THE RUINS OF WINDSOR - NEAR PORT GIBSON, MISSISSIPPI
The amazing RUINS OF WINDSOR loom up at 10.3 m. (L). Twenty-two gigantic stone Corinthian columns remain as testimony to what was perhaps the supreme gesture of the grand manner of ante-bellum Greek Revival architecture. These columns, joined by Italian wrought-iron railings which were once at the upper gallery level, form a perfect outline of the house, which was rectangular in shape with a narrow ell, the service wing, at the rear. Windsor was built by S. C. Daniel, a wealthy planter who had holdings in the vicinity and across the river in Louisiana. When completed in 1861, it was considered the handsomest home in Mississippi. It had five stories topped by an observatory. The furnishings were imported and the library housed rare old books. Rich tapestries and velvet draperies adorned it. During the War between the States for a short period the Confederates used its lofty tower, which commanded a view of the Mississippi River, as an observation point; then the Federals used it as a hospital. Mark Twain, when a pilot on Mississippi steamboats, used to chart his course at this point by the peak of the tower. In 1890 Windsor was destroyed by fire. Except for a few pieces of jewelry nothing was saved.
— Mississippi, A Guide to the Magnolia State (WPA, 1938)
Guide Note: The site was donated to the state of Mississippi in 1974.
* * *